I. Gospel Of Peace V. 15
A. The Roman Soldier’s Sandals
1. Roman soldiers wore sandals attached to their feet with leather thongs, & studded with short nails in the sole of the sandal, which gave them a sure footing.
2. This helped prevent slipping, being pushed back, etc.
3. It also assisted in making forward progress and being stable.
4. Wood– The military successes both of Alexander the Great and of Julius Caesar were due in large measure to their armies’ being well shod and thus able to undertake long marches at incredible speed over rough terrain.
5. preparation- establishment, or firm foundation, preparedness, readiness.
6. The Christian is to live ready to share the Gospel of peace.
7. During warfare, a barefoot soldier is at greater danger and unable to help his comrades.
8. The Christian is always to be prepared, and not go around spiritually bare foot.
9. In warfare, so much can happen in just a moment. The same is true spiritually.
10. The Christian has to have the Gospel sandals on all the time.
B. The Gospel Of Peace
1. Gospel means “good news”. The Gospel isn’t bad news, it’s good news.
2. The Gospel contains some bad news, but the Gospel isn’t bad news, it’s good news.
3. Unfortunately, many don’t believe that there is bad news, so good news seems unneeded. Only the Holy Spirit can convince people of both the bad & good news.
4. But God wants to use His people to be His mouthpieces, His messengers.
5. The Christian should be equipped with the good news that speaks about God’s forgiveness to the sinner, & the resultant peace which comes to the heart of the forgiven.
a. Peace with God- Forgiveness of sins, salvation, eternal life.
Romans 5:1, 2 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through
our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
b. The peace of God. See Philippians 4:6-9
c. Peace- eirene- the tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God & content with its earthly lot, of whatsoever sort that is
6. The Christian is called to be ready to share the gospel.
1 Peter 3:15 NIV But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…
II. Satan’s Warfare Against The Gospel Of Peace
A. Satan’s Opposition To The Gospel
1. Satan would love to silence the Gospel message.
2. He would love to cause Christians to not speak of the Gospel message.
3. Satan takes away the Word from hard hearts. Turn to Mark 3:3-13
4. Satan keeps people in spiritual darkness & away from spiritual truth. Acts 26:17, 18 I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, 18 to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’
B. His Methods To Silence The Gospel
1. Satan has counterfeit ministers.
a. 2 Corinthians 11:13-15
2. Satan offers a counterfeit Gospel.
a. Galatians 1:6-9
i. Randy Alcorn– “Lord Foulgrin’s Letters” a fictional story of a high-ranking demon instructing a lower level demon re. spiritual warfare. (Writing about a fictional minister who preached “another gospel”)
ii. “We imitate the forbidden squadron by offering a facsimile-the world wearing church clothes. Christianity Lite- all they’ve ever wanted in a church and less. People come to Reverend Braun’s assembly and believe it’s the real thing. Braun espouses an atheism for cowards. He is much more useful than an outright atheist. The atheist rarely draws a following. His arrogance, materialism, and lack of belief in anything outside himself is unattractive. Atheism is an empty cup crying out to be filled, while (false) religion is an empty cup appearing to be filled. This clergyman cloaks his denial of the supernatural under the garment of faith. While rejecting everything of importance embraced by the historic Christian Church, he’s an ordained “Christian” minister- a spokesman for a faith he doesn’t embrace. Don’t underestimate false doctrine- the oldest strategies are best.”
3. Satan seeks to make Christians think that other messages are equally/more important.
a. We are not to shod our feet with the good news of “fundamentalism”,
“conservatism”, or “patriotism”, or any other political, cultural, or philosophical news.
b. Though those issues are important, they are not eternal or purely spiritual in nature.
c. It is not culture we are called to change. We hope to see people changed, culture will follow.
d. Political, cultural, philosophical arguments will eventually pass away.
i. 2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.
e. The Gospel does offend in that it tells men they are sinners and need a Savior.
C. The Human Struggle In Sharing The Gospel
1. Another deterrent against the Christian sharing the Gospel is the disapproval or opposition we can expect from those who are offended at the message.
a. We may fear that we will be labeled a nut case, a bigot, an evangelical militant.
b. We may fear the loss of finds, family relationships, loss of job promotion or job.
2. We may fear that we won’t be able to “covert” someone. We don’t know enough, etc.
a. It isn’t the Christian’s responsibility to “convert” anyone, nor do we have the power.
b. The Holy Spirit convinces people of their need for Christ, God grants them new birth. (John 16:8-10; John 3:5-8)
3. The Christian needs to prepare himself to share the Gospel ahead of time.
a. In battle the soldier prepares his feet because he knows ahead of time that there will be opposition & rough terrain. He doesn’t put his boots on after entering the battle.
b. Military Boots- Viet Nam: Specialized Footwear For a Particular Kind Of Battle
US Marines & US Soldiers were issued jungle boots. They had spike resistant bottoms (a metal plate imbedded into the sole of the boot), the shoe portion was made of leather, & the upper portion was made of green cloth, they were laced boots with two holes near the arch so water could drain. The early model jungle boots came with tightly spaced cleats on the bottom of the soles, the newer jungle boot had the newer style “Panama” sole with wider spaced cleats. These were better as mud could be kicked from them easier. The tightly spaced cleats formed a smooth solid bottom after only a few steps, giving the “grunt” no traction when walking.
c. May every Christ follower know ahead of time that there is and will be opposition.
d. Prepare yourself daily before you leave your house; be ready to share the Gospel.
e. Redpath- Read yourself full, think yourself clear, pray yourself hot, and let yourself go.